Project: Central Elementary School
Size: 97,000 sq ft
Location: Albemarle, NCbr> The new Central Elementary School was created out of the former Albemarle High School, built in 1924 using 12 sheets of drawings by architect Charles C. Hook. The original school was part of an effort to bring this mill town into the 20th century.
In 2002, Onxley Architecture joined with Little Diversified to renovate the and connect the two existing buildings, as well as add on additional space and a covered drop off. While keeping the school’s historic façade, Onxley Architecture created new classrooms that are large, bright, and modern. Central Elementary School has restored pride to the community, which has a rich past and promising future. This project was the recipient of and award of merit for "Best Endangered Property Rescue Effort" in 2010, as well as a preservation award.